Monday, June 4, 2012

The Journey Begins

I am a sophomore at the University of North Texas, studying to be a physical therapist (I started off at UT-Dallas for pediatric oncology and then journalism) and I've just been accepted into the Honors College at UNT. At the present time, I have a 4.0 grade point average, and I absolutely cringe at the thought of playing dumb to, more or less, "win a boy over." I am a hardcore feminist- to the extent that in high school, I was nicknamed the "Feminazi." I am an both an avid runner and a dedicated dancer. Both forms of healthy exercise, but both something I would lose my mind without. Why am I sharing all of this information with you? Do you really care that I care about women's rights? No, probably not. (Although I like to pretend that other people think it is an important issue.) I am also a Hooters Girl.

I will begin working at a new Hooters on Wednesday, for which I am more ecstatic than I should be. The truth of the matter is, I have gotten comments that I am a prostitute, a stripper, and that I "must be dumb" all because of my chosen profession of paying my way through college. No offense to prostitutes or strippers. especially, because, hey, I would not feel confident swinging around up there on a pole, but I do not, have not, and will not ever remove my clothes or perform sexual favors for money. So, the comment that I am a "borderline prostitute" or a "stripper" is actually invalid. Again, no offense to all the dumb people out there (and you're probably not as dumb as some of the people I have come across in my short nineteen years), I am far from dumb. I choose to be a Hooters Girl, actually, because it was smart to pick a job where I make a lot of money for little, easy work. I guess any high-class restaurant would MAYBE bring in the same amount of tips that I make at Hooters, but for a lot more work and a lot less fun. The truth is, I love Hooters. I love being a Hooters Girl. I love the way it makes me feel confident and sexy, even if I have to put up with some pervs from time to time- and there is actually not as many as you would think.

Since when I type in "Hooters" into my Google search bar, a whole bunch of negative crap pops up like, "Sexual Harassment at Hooters!" "Hooters Waitress Fired for Weight!" I decided I would bring to light what it is really like to be a Hooters Girl. It is awesome. It is probably better than your job, unless, of course you are a fellow Hooters Hottie.  So, the journey now begins....

And for those of you wondering- yes! You can be a feminist and a HG at the same time! Why not? The feminist movement is NOT about never revealing anything... EVER... it is about giving women the power to be a doctor, a lawyer, the President, or a Hooters Girl. In reality, the joke isn't on us Hooter Girls, it's on the men tipping me fifty bucks because I flashed him a smile and I know the difference between a touchdown and a field goal, or a ground ball and a grand slam.

No comments:

Post a Comment